Shaxpir Feature Ideas

1. Web-Based Login Access To Shaxpir

I think a subscription-based writing service would be more useful to me personally if you had a web login feature so you could use the program through the website (besides using the desktop app). That way, if you're unable to install the software onto a computer that's public access, you could still work on your projects -- say, college students working in a school library, folks working on computers owned by their employers that don't allow for installation of programs, etc. From the screenshots I've seen, Shaxpir reminds me of some of the functionality of Scrivener, but with some new…

190 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Panes... We need at least two panes so that we can have another chapter/scene, research, or ? open while we work on another scene

Panes/windows... We need at least two panes so that we can have another chapter/scene, research, or ? pane/window open while we work on another scene

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Prologue/Interlude/Epilogue Classifications & Better Table of Contents Support

There are no dedicated object types for prologues, interludes, and epilogues within Shaxpir. As a result, they must either be classified as chapters (messes up the chapter numbering in the table of contents), scenes (doesn't feel right), or front-matter or back-matter (not really what those classifications are used for).

As a result, if you want to export a table of contents you have to intentionally mis-classify these entries in order for them to show up properly in the contents while not affecting chapters.

On a related note, I've found that chapter export options don't always work. On more than one…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Proper Search Function

Shaxpir's current search function isn't practical. Yes, you can search and it's pretty cool the way the app highlights the search results inside the document, but you still have to scroll through page after page of material in order to (hopefully) spot the highlighted content.

I've never seen a search that works this way before. Most documents allow you to jump directly to the matching values, but here you don't know [A] if there are any matching values, [B] how many there are, or [C] where in the document they're located.

On a side note, it would be nice to…

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Support For Multiple Books Inside A Single Series

Shaxpir really shines when it comes to creating a single book and allowing you to add parts, chapters, characters, notes, connections, etc... However, there's no easy way to compile multiple books into a single series.

This would be a welcome addition, as currently there are only two ways of creating multiple books as a series:

• [A] You can create all your books individually, sure, but then you must recreate all the characters, themes, items, connections, etc... for each one (assuming the different books revolve around a common set of characters/themes/items/etc). Also, this method does not allow you to create connections…

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Pop Up Characters or Notes

It would be nice if the notes on the left side of the screen (characters notes, places, ect) would pop up on screen without leaving the page I am working on. Several times while in the middle of re-writes, I've forgotten a characters eye color, or needed a reminder about what the inside of a particular tavern looks like, gone to check my note, then have to hunt for the place I was at in my chapter again. It would be nice if the notes popped up almost like a post it.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Spellcheck, Thesaurus, Themes, Syncing & Security

As others have stated, I think spellcheck is an absolute must. Currently, the lack of this feature is the only reason I'm putting off subscribing to the service.

Beyond that, a thesaurus would be a very welcome plus.

Additionally, while I like the Shaxpir interface as-is (very clean and elegant), I would prefer a few different themes to choose from, even if they're limited to dark and light themes. I do my best writing late at night, and staring at a clean white screen is difficult. Other utilities offer customizable themes or day/night themes, allowing you to choose a GUI…

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Needs iPad Pro native app with cloud integration.

It'd be nice to have an iPad Pro native application to use when on the road.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. be able to create a story timeline

To be able to create a graphic timeline of different storylines. A graphic timeline where I can create different color coded timeline for the main plot, each subplot, birth of character, death of a character, how many years past since this event etc... keep track of continuity.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Focus writing mode (full screen)

I am a fan of distraction-free writing modes such as Omni-writer and Calmly. Could there be a mode where the side bars on both sides disappear, leaving only the page I am working on.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. The ability to create Novel templates

Would love to be able to create Novel outline templates. The outline for a mystery is inevitably different than the outline for a romance. I love the fluid feel of how Shaxpir is set up, with the ability to make separate folders etc. But I would also love the ability to set up a predefined template of genre outlines. What needs to happen in each act, chapter, and scene, to build a specific type of novel, then be able to save this outline as a template so that I don't have to recreate that outline for each novel in a…

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Font Display Size

Hi. I use a WQHD monitor and the display font and size is almost too small to read. It would be great to have an option to adjust the display font size and color.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. target word count

Right now, I see an average of how many hours and an average of how many words. I would really love to be able to set a target word count for each writing session. I don't know how that would work with the syncing offline with online or if that would even be an issue, but it would really help me stay motivated and on schedule if I could set a target word count for each separate writing session. Or for that matter, each writing session of each project. Maybe some kind of "real time" counter that could reset as…

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. retrieve your work

I am new to Shaxpir and I'm always on a hectic schedule. If I had accidently clicked off, it would be nice to get back to where I was, instead of a blank screen that never loads.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. A Project Calendar

Writing a novel or story is a project. I would like at project calendar A writing schedule calendar to be able to plan and schedule writing time, tasks and goals. (When this chapter should be done, when first draft will done, publish date, edit, revisions, find proof reader, etc. etc.)

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. story read back to me aloud?

Sometimes when I'm rewriting, editing, or proofing my mind misses glaring mistakes because my mind automatically puts in the word or phrase I wish as I am reading it. Because I know what "Should" be there, my brain reads it as I intend, not as it would "really" read to someone who doesn't know the plotline, or that I mixed several different versions of a story into one, and mixed some of the details in an illogical manor. Having text to speech feature, even if it's not the most human sounding voice, can help me catch those mistakes. It would…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 88 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Inspirtational quotes from famous writers?

Perhaps it would be a finishing touch to have random quotes from famous writers, or about writing to have as a daily pep talk on the page that lists our story projects. Perhaps a running banner at the top of that page or the page that calculates our writing averages?
    Just a thought.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Will I be able to view my manuscript as a whole?

I would really like to have a manuscript view where the whole novel can be seen as a whole and complete entity to get a feel for how it reads.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Outlining?

I like the look of the walkthrough and all the features like marginal notes. I don't see anything to help me outline.

(I'm a professional writer of tie-in novels, and outlining is critical to me. I'm happy to talk you through what's needed if you want)

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Shaxpir Feature Ideas

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base