Shaxpir Feature Ideas

1. Tracking story elements

What I'm currently missing in all writing software I've ever tried is the possibility to track certain words or phrases and have them automatically tracked in the text. This is especially crucial for stories with a big cast, since it would be extremely helpful to be able to see with a single glance which characters are present in a given chapter.

In an ideal world I'd have the ability to have the text processor highlight all occurrences of a given name (or plot element or item, etc) and list them as tags somewhere at the side of the screen. Shaxpir…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I like the way you think, Siipis.

I’m planning on implementing this in a future version of Shaxpir. Once we get past the BETA period, and roll out some of the more essential features (like export & spellcheck), this is exactly the kind of thing Shaxpir is designed for.

2. User-Defined Dictionary

An author may want to use particular spellings of words, as dialect, for instance, and may want to avoid having spell check find every instance of words it deems "wrong", when those were the intentions of the writer to have those words spelled in a particular way.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Paperback formatting

I've long struggled with paperback formatting. Not a big revenue generator, but to be able to simply input my dimensions and headers, then have the bulk of the formatting done for me would be fantastic. Obviously things like widows & orphans and hyphenation would need to be done manually, but a correctly-sized .rtf file (or in-Shaxpir) file would be a great start.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Improvement - Edit: Find and Replace

In my last novel, I had misspelled the name of an Air Force Base....an actual historical Air Base. Fortunately, I discovered the issue, and was able to use "Find and Replace" to make sure that all occurances, of which there were many, were replaced.

Will we have that capability?

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Character - is detail template possible?

I do know that there are templates out there for character descriptions. I might want to remember that the character has blue eyes, not brown, and that they are a particular height and weight, and gender. And, frankly, I don't want to have to remember to add this information each time I'm developing a new character. I'd rather have a template that I can fill out. If I leave information off, that's my choice. But, if I forget to add something, simply because I didn't remember, then it could be disastrous for the story.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Improvement - Ability to resize workspace

Now that I've discovered the indenting of story elements, the need to be able to resize the workspace has become evident. Some scene titles are necessarily longer, and the more that indention takes place (to further refine the story), the more that they disappear under the document body writing space.

I would like to able to make my work space larger, so that I can see all levels (and titles) of my document, which will make my workflow faster.

I see no ability to attach a screenshot here, so I hope the explanation is good enough.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Shaxpir Feature Ideas

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base